Thursday, August 12, 2010

Laurenzo's On Washington

** Sorry -- I forgot to bring my camera today!! So no pictures! **

We went to Laurenzo's for lunch today. It's a cozy little place off the beaten path on Washington Avenue. The walls are a punchy yellow color, with leather seats and pretty Tiffany lighting. The hostess seemed like she was in desperate need of a cigarette break (my husband actually whispered to me "I'm sorry we ruined her day by showing up"), but our server was competent and friendly. Right away I felt like I was going to like this place.

The menu is pretty impressive. I noticed the Ox Tails first, but decided to pass since it seems like more of a dinner dish. Instead I chose to go with their vegetarian "burger". What arrived was a slice of portabello mushroom on a sesame seed bun, dressed with lettuce, onion, grilled green tomatoes, red pepper, and lots and lots of goat cheese. Lots. I love goat cheese, and I loved this sandwich, but it was messy -- certainly not something you would want to order on a first date or a power lunch with your boss. About halfway through I wimped out and started eating it with my knife and fork, but I still ate every bite. It reminded me of my favorite kind of pizza on a bun.

The hubs got the "famous" French Dip. He didn't say much about it, because his mouth was full. I think that's a pretty good review. He did mention that his fries could have stood to have left the deep-fryer a few minutes earlier than they evidently did, but I like my fries a little crispy, so I have no complaints.

Bottom Line: Laurenzo's is good. It's a little pricey for lunch (our two sandwiches, plus cokes and the tip, came to $45), and a little out of the way, but it's worth both the drive and the money. I'll be going back for the ox tails (and something off of their impressive drinks menu) for dinner soon, and hopefully you'll be there too.