Thursday, November 3, 2011

Skyline Deli

The Skyline Deli is located in the bottom of my building, but I have avoided eating there, as I heard a nasty rumor that the manager refused to let an employee take food home at the end of the night, but forced her to watch the manager throw it out instead. That kind of waste and spitefulness was enough to make me lose my appetite. However, I forgot my lunch on Tuesday, and I was desperate. It was Skyline or the Burger King across the street, and I went to Skyline for convenience. Poor choice.

The workers at Skyline can best be described as surly. They wanted nothing to do with me; I had to ask for my diet coke three times, and was never once met with a smile or a thank-you. Oh well. Maybe being forced to throw out leftovers does that to people.

However, after sampling the food, I'm not sure why anyone would want to take it home. I got two pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes and white gravy. The potatoes and gravy were fine, which is good, since they were all I ended up eating. The chicken was so greasy it was practically inedible. Add to that the fact that I asked for -- and paid extra for -- white meat and ended up with a thigh and a leg (NOT white meat) and I was not a happy camper.

I didn't take a picture, but trust me, the internet's not missing out on much.

There are a lot of things about my job that I don't understand. I don't understand why people leave the disposable toilet seat covers on the seat after they use them. I don't understand why the difference between "reply" and "reply all" is so confusing to some people. But more than anything, I don't understand how ANYONE manages to choke down a lunch from Skyline Deli every day -- but some people do.

If you're ever on Bissonnet and you're hungry, go to Burger King. Or there's some gum stuck to the ground in our parking lot. Seriously, you're better off -- and you won't have to pay extra for any particular color of gum.