Monday, February 27, 2012

Pollo Campero



It's been so long since we ate at Pollo Campero that I almost feel guilty writing about it. They just put one in on Washington Avenue next to my husband's building, and his coworkers were raving about it. I wish I could say the same.

Maybe it's just that I'm not used to Latin fast-food. I was impressed with the variety of the offerings -- not just entrees, but also sides, salsas, even the drink menu. I had the empanada trio, with one of each offered filling (Cubana pork, grilled chicken and spicy chicken). I didn't love my empanadas. They were a little bit greasy, a little bit floppy, a little bit doughy -- a little bit everything but delicious. The rice and beans I had on the side were good though.*

The people couldn't have been nicer. If anything, they were a little overly friendly; I think that might have been new-restaurant nerves though. The space itself was nice, and clean, and everything was moving efficiently. And in fairness, the fried chicken (their specialty) did look and smell very good.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try Pollo Campero. Washington Ave has changed in the few years we've been here, and there's a great need for affordable lunch choices in this area. I'm just really hoping that they step up and work out some of the kinks, and soon. Some other places need a little competition.


*I'm trying so hard to give this place a good review. It's killing me.