Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pizza Deaux

**Please note: this posting contains a frank discussion of gastrointestinal issues. Viewer discretion is advised. If you're eating a sandwich, you might want to put it down. **

Pizza Deaux advertises itself as "home of the cracker crust." I like that. My biggest complaint about Texas pizza has been that it's nothing like the pizza I grew up with in New York. Pizza Deaux isn't trying to make pizza like you would find in New York. Therefore I put my comparisons aside and enjoyed the product for what it was. And what it was was pretty good.



We tried the "Ragin Cajun", which is topped with sausage, pepperoni and jalapenos. Or I should say A LOT of sausage, pepperoni and jalapenos. Seriously, there had to be a couple of pounds of sausage crumbles on that pie. The jalapeno slices offered a ton of very pleasant heat, and I really liked the cracker crust. It wasn't the pizza I was used to, but it was spicy, hearty, crunchy and meaty. I loved it.

... Until the next day. Apparently my guts didn't enjoy being subjected to a pound of spicy sausage and jalapeno slices. I like spicy foods and I eat them fairly regularly, but this was a little much, at least going out. But the pizza tastes so good, that didn't stop me from eating a few more slices for lunch, and subjecting myself to a second round of stomach upset a few hours later. That's right -- it's so tasty that it's worth knowingly getting sick.