Friday, September 17, 2010

Cafe Adobe

Cafe Adobe claims to have the best margaritas in Houston. I haven't had enough margaritas here to verify that claim, but I can say that their margaritas are very good. And very strong. My husband and I ate outside on a Friday evening, and between the heat, the booze, and the fact that we hadn't had much to eat during the day (we skipped an appetizer to get a dessert, and the dessert ended up being another margarita), we left there feeling no pain.

First, a note about atmosphere. We sat out on the patio, next to a fountain and some potted plants. The garden accessories helped to block out the traffic and it was easy to forget that we were on a busy road in a major city. It was sunny and warm but not unbearable, and the other people were having a good time but not loud or distracting. Pretty much a perfect outdoor dining experience.

We decided to have a little fajitas with our alcohol. I smelled steak on the way in, and that's what I wanted. What arrived was a delightful little platter of grilled flank steak, well made guacamole and salsa, lettuce, grilled onions and jalapeno peppers. The tortillas were warm, with little black marks that indicated they were probably homemade. We each got two fully assembled fajitas, as well as a bit of extra goodies we made into "fajita salad", out of one large order. I can't pretend that I can remember much of what they tasted like, but I think that they were good. Not as good as the margaritas. But then again, not much could have been.