Sunday, September 12, 2010

Red Lion Pub

Full disclosure: I really like Red Lion. We've been there twice, and I already feel like it's my home pub. The people are friendly and the atmosphere is homey and welcoming. So if you expect this review to be anything close to unbiased, you're going to be quite disappointed.

As you might imagine, the food at Red Lion is mostly British pub favorites, with a heavy Indian influence. My husband and I enjoy making meals out of appetizers. Last time we were at Red Lion, we ordered two dishes off their "Nibbles" menu, the samosas and the baked tandoori chicken quesadillas. Thank goodness my husband didn't let me talk him into ordering three things, as the size of these "appetizers" was generous, to say the least.

The samosas were not as good as the one we tried at Blue Nile. The crust was different -- where the crust at Blue Nile was a flaky pastry, the crust at Red Lion was crunchier and deep-fried. The filling at Red Lion was also a lot spicier. Like I said, the portions were gigantic, making the samosas difficult to eat. I couldn't exactly identify what was in either of the dipping sauces, and I didn't love either of them. The samosas weren't horrible, but I probably wouldn't order them again.



The quesadilla was something we were ordering for a second time. We love the fact that this enchilada is built on a crispy pita instead of a tortilla, and the spicy tandoori chicken filling pairs so nicely with the carrot and cucumber "salsa" on the side. This is a very successful melding of Tex Mex and traditional pub cuisine. And it's more than enough for two.



We paired our nibbles with a delicious Belgium white beer on both visits. And on both visits we were treated to excellent service at the bar and in the dining room. Prices are a bit steeper for appetizers than at other places, but so are the portions. Red Lion is worth a little extra. It's an authentic, friendly, fun place that makes you feel right at home, no matter where you're from.