Monday, April 25, 2011

Crave Cupcakes



I love desserts as much as the next girl, but I've never fully understood the cupcakes thing. I'll never be the one standing in line for an hour outside of sprinkles, or the one ordering a trendy wedding cake made entirely out of cupcakes. That said, when a friend of mine brought Crave cupcakes into work, I couldn't let the opportunity for an on-the-fly review to pass me by. So purely in the interest of research, I had one.

Mine was the dark chocolate one with all the sprinkles. When I first bit into the cake alone, I didn't think I would like it. It was a little dry, a little bitter, and not chocolaty enough for my taste. But then I took a bite of it with the icing, and I realized that all of those characteristics helped it balance the terrifically sweet, thick chocolate frosting and sprinkles. It was good. Was it worth waiting on a line or paying an exorbitant amount of money? No. Do I understand the cupcake obsession better having had it? Not really. Was it a nice little treat and a good pick-me-up at work? Absolutely.

By the way, I read in Newsweek that the cupcake trend is going to end soon, but that "pie will have a moment." I know at least one local business that would appreciate that!