Monday, April 25, 2011

Tony Thai

I went out with a group of girls from work to celebrate a coworker's leaving the office. The guest of honor got to choose the place, and she wanted to try Tony Thai. This place wouldn't have probably been my first choice, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

From the outside, Tony Thai looks like a typical strip mall joint, but inside it's very nice: working fountains, cloth napkins, and an attentive and friendly wait staff. For all of this ambiance, I was shocked at the low prices, particularly for lunch. I had the shrimp rolls and Pad Thai lunch box, and for $6.95 I got a LOT of food.



The soup was chicken and coconut milk, which had an amazing flavor but was too hot (both in temperature and seasoning) for me to eat. The shrimp rolls were whole shrimp, rolled in a wrapper and fried; nothing fancy, but different from other rolls I've tried, and fun to eat.

The pad thai was a real standout. Another girl commented (and I agree) that the noodles were perfectly cooked; they weren't gloppy, overly sauced or underdone, which can be common problems with low cost Asian food. The other winner on the plate was the fried sweet potato slices. I don't even LIKE sweet potatoes, and I ate both of mine. They were a perfect combination of flavors and textures, and they should be sold in big batches at every fair and movie theater in the country.

I didn't try to rice or salad, because neither seemed very interesting to me, and there was a LOT of food to try.

Service at Tony Thai was relatively fast and competent. There were some delays with some of our food, but it was a large group and that's not totally unexpected. English is not the first language for most of the staff, but they were certainly friendly and did their best.

I would absolutely recommend Tony Thai. The atmosphere and food were both exemplary, and the prices were unusually low. Give it a shot; if my lunch experience was the norm, you won't be disappointed at all.