Thursday, May 26, 2011

Raising Cane's



Back in law school, Ross made me drive from Waco to College Station to get Raising Cane's. I don't remember much about the chicken, except that I wasn't sure it was worth the almost two-hour drive. I thought I would give it another try now that I have one right down the street.

We went through the drive through, which was staffed by one of the nicest employees I've ever encountered. She won me over when she said she liked my car ("the plodder"). I went with the Three Finger combo (Cane's sells its chicken almost exclusively in combo meals), which includes three chicken fingers, fries, toast, a small container of Cane's sauce, and a drink.

The chicken at Cane's is actually pretty good: all white meat, crispy breading, nice portion sizes. It holds up well against all the other fast-food chicken out there. It's the sauce which is supposed to be the selling point, however, and it's just not for me. It tastes a little bit like a mixture of Thousand Islands dressing and cajun seasoning, and it doesn't really do much for me.

As for everything else: the fries were typical, the toast was cold, and overall I'd give the entire meal a B. Still not worth an hour plus drive under any circumstances, but for 5 minutes of driving and just a couple bucks, this isn't the worst fast-food meal in the world.