Thursday, April 19, 2012

Kenny and Ziggy's

I. Love. Jewish. Deli.

I'm from NY. I can't help it; Jewish Deli is like crack to me. And let's face it -- sometimes it's hard to find a good Jewish deli in Texas. Oy vey, I was happy to find Kenny and Ziggy's!

Is it authentic? Yes. Is it delicious? Yes. Is it a little overpriced? Well, yes.

I had "Jewish penicillin" (matzo ball soup) and fried pierogies. The pierogies were standout. They were served with sour cream, apple sauce and (for some bizarre reason) s HUGE mound of onion strings.


Um, where's my food?


Oh, there it is!!

These little babies were savory, crunchy, salty and paired perfectly with both the sour cream and apple sauce. This is comfort food at it's best. Still not sure what the onion strings were about, but I'll get over it. The complimentary pickles were a much better side-dish.

Portions at Kenny and Ziggy's are ridiculous. The sandwiches (with cute names, like "Fiddler on the Roof of Your Mouth") seem pricey until you realize that you can eat off of it for about a week. Even the matzo ball soup is designed for more than one person -- they bring you enough spoons for everyone on the table. Go hungry, leave happy. It's a mitzvah!

PS: told you I'd be back ...