Thursday, October 21, 2010

Daily Grill

I didn't really want to have dinner at The Daily Grill. We were in the Houston Galleria on a Tuesday night, and the restaurant I wanted to eat at was empty. For some reason, being the only person in a restaurant makes me uncomfortable, so we sought out food elsewhere and kind of stumbled upon Daily Grill.

I started my meal with a pomegranate martini. My drink tasted more like juice than alcohol, but it must be loaded with it, since it cost $13. To pay that much for a mixed drink you have to be a little tipsy. Fine drink, but not worth it.

My meal was far better. I was craving fish, so I got the fish and chips.



The fish was lightly breaded and fork-tender. It was served with lemon wedges and vinegar (which I didn't even have to ask for) and serviceable french fries. Very satisfying meal. My husband had a ribeye and he was very happy with it as well.

We decided to have a dessert at our waiter's suggestion. We shared the strawberry shortcake. The chef was very generous with his strawberries and real, fresh whipped cream, but the real standout of the dish was the extremely flavorful strawberry syrup that lined the bottom of the bowl. Truly heavenly, it more than made up for the fact that the biscuit was a little too thick and too dry.

Service at The Daily Grill is exemplary. Our server was attentive and helpful without being pushy. There were a lot of little touches we weren't expecting: the server scraped bread crumbs off of our table with a knife, the manager came by to check on how we were doing, the bus boys quickly moved used and empty plates almost as soon as we were done with them. As far as service was concerned, The Daily Grill is more like a fine dining restaurant than a place in a mall.

Unfortunately, The Daily Grill also forgets that it's in a mall when it comes to prices. Everything was just a little too expensive (except, of course, for my $13 drink, which was MUCH too expensive). Don't get me wrong -- the food here is good. I just don't think that The Daily Grill will be my first choice from now on when I'm shopping and need something to eat. Chances are, if I'm in the mall, I've probably spent too much already to afford a pricey meal. And at $13 a pop, I'll NEVER be able to drink enough to justify it to myself.