Sunday, October 17, 2010

Taco Milagro

I wanted to try Taco Milagro because to its name alone. Miracle Taco? Really? That takes cojones. I was all for it.

The outside seating area at Taco Milagro is fantastic. There are tons of tables arranged around a very nice pool. Unlike most other outdoor eateries this time of year, we had no trouble finding someplace to sit. It was a beautiful Friday night, and all kinds of people were there: men in business suits; families with small children; nervous-looking first dates. The people watching and fabulous weather alone were worth the price of dinner, which is a good thing, since the food wasn't.

Let's start with the margaritas. Taco Milagro has a full bar inside, but if you order a margarita with dinner, it comes out of a big vat behind the counter, the kind that other places use to serve sweet tea. I went in with the belief that the best margaritas were usually made, at the very most, by the blender-full. I left with that belief intact. My margarita just wasn't very good.

My husband ordered a mango margarita. I made fun of him for it, but his drink was actually much better than mine (and prettier too):



For dinner I went with one of my staples, bean burritos. This is what I got:



Nice to look at, but unfortunately these tasted exactly like the burritos I make at home (when I spread canned refried beans on tortillas and microwave them). The rice and beans on the side were very good, but let's face it -- no one goes out to dinner just to have rice and beans. It just felt like very little effort went into the food at all, from conceptualization to the actual ingredients, and that's always disappointing.

Overall, this was the kind of Mexican food you might get in the "Mexican Village" section of an amusement park. It was edible, but it wasn't authentic, and it certainly wasn't memorable. In a town full of great Tex-Mex, those kind of offenses are pretty much unforgivable. The only real stand-out here was the Mango Margarita, which hinted at how good this place could be, if only they would try just a little harder.