Monday, November 22, 2010

Special Out of Town Edition: Caffe Capri

This weekend was our friend Ramblin' Stew's birthday, so we headed up to College Station and had a nice meal at Caffe Capri. I thought that maybe some readers will be travelling to, or through, BCS for the holiday this week, so this trip and this review might be timely.

Caffe Capri is located downtown. The space is small, but it doesn't feel crowded, just cozy. We waited about 20 minutes for a table, which was very manageable, considering we showed up without reservations on a Friday night (and were told we would have to wait an hour by the borderline-incompetent hostess). Our waitress was a sweet college-age girl with a high tolerance for our rowdiness.

The birthday boy handled the wine selection, since he knows a lot about such things. We ended up with two nice bottles of white wine off of their very user-friendly list. We also had some very good calimari, which I would absolutely recommend.

I went with the seafood ravioli. I wish I could say more, but the wine was working at that point. I know the food was good, because I ate most of it. There was plenty of crabmeat and lobster in it, and a thick cream sauce, which is always a good thing. I can't say I would recommend it (since I can't 100% remember it) but I can't say I didn't like it either.

We told the waitress is was Stew's birthday, so she brought out a dessert. She didn't tell us what it was, but looking at the menu, I think it was the chocolate toffee mousse with kahlua. It was very good -- creamy, rich and perfect for sharing. Much better than a plain old piece of birthday cake.

We had a good experience at Caffe Capri. A lot of it has to do with the company we had and the occasion (not to mention the bottles of wine). However, the food -- or what I can remember of the food -- was very good, and the atmosphere was lovely. If you're headed that way this weekend, give it a try. And let me know how it goes -- maybe it'll trigger my memory.