Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Recipes, from Texas with Love

My husband and I are flying to New York this week, to spend Christmas with my family. I do most of the cooking. One of the things I've picked up in Texas is candy making. It's not something that is really prominent in New York, at least not in my family, so I'm looking forward to preparing some of these recipes for them. Of course I'll also be making a big batch of my famous Jack Daniels slushies. Enjoy, be safe, and have a Happy Holiday -- I'll be back in 2011!

Christmas Trash (my nephew Grant's favorite)

You'll need: 1 box of golden grahams cereal
1 cup chopped almonds
1 lb white chocolate almond bark coating
1 large glass jar of unsalted peanuts

1) Melt the almond bark coating according to package directions.

2) Mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the coating over the mix.

3) Place wax paper on the counter tops. Pour the mixture onto the paper and spread it out as much as possible.

4) Let cool/set for at least an hour before breaking it into chunks. Store in an airtight container.

Rana's Sandwich Cookies (my husband's favorite)

You'll need: 1 box of Ritz crackers
1 jar of smooth peanut butter
1 pound of milk chocolate almond bark coating

1) Spread the peanut butter on the crackers, and press them together to make "sandwiches".

2) Melt the almond bark coating according to the package.

3) Cover counter tops with waxed paper.

4) Using tongs or a slotted spoon, dip the sandwiches into the chocolate, coating each completely. Place them on the waxed paper to cool.

5) Allow them to sit for an hour to cool/set. Store in an airtight container.

Jack Daniels Slushies (my grandma's recipe)

1) In a large bucket (margarita buckets work well), mix together equal parts prepared/cooled black tea and orange juice.

2) Stir Jack Daniels into the mixture. How much depends on how strong you want them -- I say 1 part JD to every 2-3 parts tea/juice, but it's up to you.

3) Place the bucket in the freezer for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.

4) To serve: scrape a large cupful of the mixture into a glass (a ladle works well for this). Top with either Sprite, Ginger Ale or Mountain Dew and serve immediately. Enjoy!