Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Special Out of Town Edition: Hut's Burgers

Hut's Hamburgers is an Austin staple. I was surprised to find that one reviewer said it did not have "an atmosphere to impress", because I thought this place was pretty chic for a dive. A stuffed long-horn head, lots of sports banners and bumper stickers (particularly the Atlanta Braves -- must have a fan on the staff) and signed photographs of musicians hang on the wall, pretty much imploring you to have a good time.

We went with burgers because you practically have to. I got the Hut's favorite, which happens to include all of my favorites too: mayo, tomato, lettuce, bacon and American cheese. My husband got the Alan Freed, which has BBQ sauce.* We also ordered a half order of fries and onion rings.



The burger was very good: juicy, salty and savory with fresh toppings and a nice toasted bun. I thought it was refreshing that Hut's offered a burger with ONLY my favorite toppings on it; for once, I didn't have to ask them to hold the onions or pickles. The fries were also very good.

The big disappointment was the onion rings. These rings were just too big, meaning that the onion inside was practically raw. The breading was thick and tasteless, until you bit into one of the (many, large) pieces of black pepper, in which case your entire mouth would be coated in that taste. Not my cup of tea.

Service and prices at Hut's were exactly what you would expect: competent and low, respectively.

Was Hut's the best burger I've ever had? No. That honor still belongs to Dubl-R in Waco. After that, I would say Lankford Grocery followed by Hut's, Hubcap and Kitok closely tied for third. If you're in or near any of those establishments this Christmas, or any time of year, hit up those places. Your arteries might not appreciate it, but your taste buds will.

*Word to the wise: Hut's lists all of the toppings for each burger on the menu. If it isn't listed, and you don't ask for it, you won't get it. My husband mistakenly thought that the Alan Freed would include typical burger toppings, such as lettuce and onion, even though they weren't included in the burger description. It didn't, and he was disappointed.