Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cadillac Bar

An annoying thing happened to me on the way into Cadillac. I wanted to go to Spaghetti Western, which is located next door to Cadillac in a not-so-nice area of town. My husband and I parked in a large lot between the restaurants, which has three signs: "Cadillac Bar", "Saltgrass" (located across the street) and "Parking." Notably, there is no sign stating that the parking is for the Cadillac Bar only. However, the rent-a-cop who stopped us as we walked across the lot told us that it was, and we could either eat at Cadillac or move our car.

A couple of points here:

1) These pathetic parking lot Nazis weren't doing a very good job. The parking lot was full; Cadillac was not.

2) Normally this kind of behavior totally turns me off to a restaurant. However, I'm on medication this week that makes me feel sick to my stomach. Eating helps. I was very hungry and not feeling well, and rather than drive around the block another two times searching for somewhere to park where our car wouldn't be stolen, we decided to eat at Cadillac.

The food at Cadillac was fine. Generic Tex-Mex. I had the Cadillac burrito, which is stuffed with ground beef, beans, lettuce, and tomato and covered with melted cheese.



It was big, filling and tasted good, but it wasn't anything special. My husband had the carnitas, and he reported that they were a little gristly but fine.



We also had tres leches cake, which was delicious.

The staff -- except for the wanna-be law enforcement in the parking lot -- were all friendly, though service was a little slow. This wasn't a BAD place, but it was no Cafe Adobe either; it's not going to become a favorite of ours. And the way the evening started didn't help. Being chased down by two "security professionals" in a golf cart doesn't set a place up for a good review.

I have no problem with a place wanting to reserve parking. But let's be sensible about it: put a "_____ Parking Only" sign up. Don't chase people down like it's the end of the world that they parked there (particularly at 8:00 at night, when the dinner rush is more than over). And do a good job -- the last thing I want to be is harassed, only to later find that the restaurant is practically empty, and the lot is not. Otherwise you're going to offend potential customers before they even walk through the door.