Sunday, March 20, 2011

Niko Niko



My husband, some friends and I popped into Niko Niko's on Montrose for lunch on one of the first really warm Saturdays of the year. I ordered a falafel platter and some baklava, two of my all-time favorite foods. We had the good luck to get a table outside, although the inside of the restaurant was a bit crowded.

I immediately dropped one of my falafel patties onto the floor, which left my sandwich a little unbalanced but still good. The patties were crispy and all of the ingredients were fresh, but it could have used just a little more Tahini sauce. The baklava was not as successful. It was much too dry and the slices themselves were too big to comfortably eat; every time I bit into one it collapsed into sticky little bits. The experience of eating outside on such a nice day was lovely, but otherwise this meal was only fair-to-middling. And the garbage cans were overflowing, which was both inconvenient and made me wonder about the cleanliness and/or understaffing of the kitchen.

On a completely unrelated note, there was a gentleman with a backpack in the ladies bathroom. This has nothing to do with the restaurant, since the only employee who noticed him (a cleaning woman) immediately acted appropriately (by kicking him out). It was just a very odd experience, and I thought I would mention it.