Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spicy Pickle



Sorry it's been so long, blog fans. I actually have three places to blog about and I thought I would catch up this weekend, but now I have plans, so this is going to be slow going. Bear with me; there are still plenty of reviews left in this thing.

I'm going to set the way-back machine to a few weeks ago and write about Spicy Pickle, where my husband and I had lunch. Yes, it's a chain (though not national), but that's OK; I have no problem eating at or writing about a chain restaurant, provided the food is good. And the food at Spicy Pickle is good.

I had the Roma panini, with tomato, mozzarella and basil mayo. This is a flavor combination that I adore, and this panini didn't disappoint. The bread was a little hard, probably from over-toasting, but it wasn't burned. I really enjoyed the pasta salad on the side; loaded with chunks of fresh mozzarella and a dressed with a light oil and vinegar mixture, this is nothing like the mayo-heavy stuff you might get at a family picnic, and it paired really well with the Italian-inspired sandwich. I also noted that Spicy Pickle sells Miss Vicky's chips and Izze grapefruit soda. It's always a good sign when a restaurant carries products you already like, and that holds true at Spicy Pickle.

Houston is a good city for sandwiches. We have Potbellies, Brown Bag, Spicy Pickle, even Les Givral's. There is no excuse for coming to Houston and having a bad lunch. Chain or not, Spicy Pickle delivers consistently good food and friendly service, which is more than we can say for some of the larger chain restaurants (and yes McDonald's, I'm looking at you).