Thursday, September 1, 2011

Special Out of Town Edition: 901 Postoffice

One word for 901 Postoffice: disappointment. I had heard and read so many good things about this place. Maybe we caught it on an off night. Or maybe it's just ... not that good.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible. The building (an old house) was kind of neat but half-empty. When I told the hostess that we had a reservation, she gave me a look that can only be described as nasty. Right off the bat I knew that she didn't like me, I didn't like her, and I wasn't sure why.

We tried an appetizer of smoked Texas sausage with quail egg. This was actually pretty yummy. The sausage was slightly crispy and paired well with the warm, soft egg yolk. We finished it easily.



For dinner, I had grilled gulf snapper with crab wontons. The snapper was fine, but the wontons were too heavy and the filling too sweet. It coated by palate and made it difficult to taste the fish. I only ate half of it.



Dinner for 4, with two bottles of wine and one dessert, came to a little over $300. I guess that's a good value for fine dining, but I wouldn't spend it on this again. Our server was very friendly and competent, but it was so dark in there that we never did get a good look at him -- one more little peculiarity about 901 Postoffice that did not add to the experience.

PS: the next morning we had breakfast at a little dive on the seawall. For just a couple of bucks, I got an amazing breakfast, a HUGE mimosa, and to watch dolphins swim in the ocean, all in a laid-back (and well-lit) atmosphere. My point? When you're at the beach, embrace your inner beach bum. Let fine dining wait until you're back in the city.