Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Yardhouse

We've been to The Yardhouse in San Antonio and we really enjoyed it, so we decided to give the one in Houston's City Centre a try. We were with a relatively large group (7 people -- one less than we needed for Yardhouse to accept a reservation) on a beautiful Saturday night, so I was surprised at how short the wait was for an outdoor table. I was also pleasantly surprised that our waitress immediately offered to split the check for us. So far, so good.

Our table started with a round of beers from the huge and ecclectic list and a serving of truffle fries. There were enough of these crispy little shoestrings for everyone to get a try, and they really tasted like truffles. That's great if you like truffles, but I don't.* Everyone else seemed to enjoy them though.

For dinner I got a house favorite, the Mac and Cheese (squared).



A HUGE dish of campanelli pasta arrived, smothered in cheese, mushrooms, chicked and bacon. The menu also claimed that the dish includes truffle oil, but luckily for me, I couldn't taste that.* What I did taste was the tangy cheese blend and the smoky bacon. It was dressed-up comfort food at its very best and there was enough to take home for lunch on Monday.

The atmoshpere could not have been more pleasant. The football game was on the outdoor TV, but the sound was off and the company was interesting enough that we didn't completely lose the men in our group. Our waitress did a good job managing all of us without being over-bearing, and as far as I know, everyone left happy. In my book that's enough to earn Yardhouse a recommendation from me.


*No, I don't know why I don't like truffles. Yes, I know they're a delicacy and everyone with half a palate loves them. No, I don't think my disliking truffles makes me unfit to write about food.